Friday, August 13, 2010

I'm So Excited! I'm So Excited! I'm So... Scared!





I kind of love that my homeschool blog opens with a Saved by the Bell reference. I can't think of anything more appropriate, and if I could, I would still post this instead.

My almost-five-year-old has been asking, "When?" all summer, and I have smiled (outside, while whimpering inside) and told him that September 7th is right around the corner. It sure is. All the feet-dragging in the world hasn't stopped it from coming, darn it.

I have been ho-humingly preparing since I decided homeschool was what I was going to do, but as the day that I'm really going to be really doing this began to really loom, all the preparation started to seem misspent, as none of it amounted to a plan of action. Then, a few weeks ago I met our new neighbor, who is herself a homeschooling mom. She has taught all of her children, who range from primary to high school ages. Nearly the first thing out of her mouth was a recommendation for a curriculum called FiveInARow. Just from her description of the program, I knew I wanted to check into it, and when I did, I knew I wanted to buy it, and when it came in the mail, I knew the kids and I would love it.

Basically you sit in a comfy chair, pull your baby (or babies) onto your lap, and read a story together for.. I hope you guessed it.. five days in a row. Each day, you focus on a different area of study pertaining to the story, but the lessons are presented in such a way that your child may not even realize he's learning. Each day, as you reread the story, you review the lesson learned from the day(s) before, so that all the new information has a chance to really be cemented. By showing your child different ways to look at the same story, you give him a foundation and love for education that hopefully he will apply to everything he learns going forward.

My neighbor spoke of the curriculum so fondly, as it was a true bonding time between her and her children, and years later they still talk about the stories they read together, and cite the lessons they learned. The other thing she said that resonated with me is not to enforce something stringent too early on. The more I've thought about that, the more I realize how right she is. I imagine I'm like most first-time homeschooling moms; I've had an idea from the outset of how things are "supposed" to go. I've been striving to create the ideal classroom, find the best curriculum, apply the most efficient schedule, but my neighbor's advice caused me to realize that my children are the ones I'm doing this for. A major reason I've chosen to homeschool is that I can tailor their learning experience. There is no board to appease, no head honcho to impress. It's my job to decide what they need. So, for now, I think the ideal classroom is wherever we are, the best curriculum is whatever enriches my kids, and the most efficient schedule is one that is open to change, as we deem necessary.

For now, the "Classical" in "Word and Light Classical Christian" is really just.. there. I have plans to teach in an informal classical style. Plans. But they can wait awhile.

So, back to Jessie Spano. What she said (sang, sobbed) is exactly how I feel. I'm a double scoop of excited with a heaping spoonful of scared. All the requisite doubts and fears are in place, and the bittersweet feeling of my baby starting kindergarten, while less pronounced (since I won't be watching him climb onto a bus, or turn around and walk out of his classroom), is still there. He's (We're) starting school! And, with my grabby, climby, yelly toddler in the mix, I may need caffeine pills.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck friend! I know you'll do a wonderful job and be an amazing teacher :) Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks, Tessa. : ) I hope so!

    ReplyDelete