Saturday, September 25, 2010

O-hi, Ohio, Round on the End, "Hi" in the Middle!

Our second FIAR title is Lentil, a story about a boy, set in a small Ohio town.

 I taught Jonah how to spell "Ohio" with a friendly little song from Space Ghost Coast to Coast. In the song, Brak (my secret boyfriend) sings that "Ohio" is round on the end (O and o) and "hi" in the middle. The rest of the song is pretty ridiculous. Something about chicken nuggets in his pants. : ) Only someone as silly as me would listen to and enjoy music like that.


Then we built a train out of Krinkle Blocks. Pretty cute, right?


Elias made himself a ramp and was having so much fun pushing his cars up and down it, and even modifying it to make it longer. Anthony and I were very impressed.


Using the story and pictures as a guide, we recreated the town of Alto, Ohio with blocks, and Colonel Carter arrived there in a locomotive.


Then we told Jonah to go ahead and destroy Alto with the locomotive. You can tell he didn't like this part whatsoever. : ) At least the school's still standing!


Later, Jonah decided he wanted to plant his sunflower. I tried to find a connection between Ohio and sunflowers, but didn't come up with much, except, you know, they grow there.


After adding water and fluffing the soil with a fork, Jonah put most of the soil in the pot.


Cute!


He counted out ten seeds to be planted. There are more in the package to plant another time.


Elias planted some seeds, too.


We covered the seeds gently with the rest of the soil.


Here's our plant! Hope it will grow nice and tall. : )



I found the first yellow leaf of the year from our cherry tree. Elias held it up for me to take a picture. I'm happy with the way it turned out.


Jonah is excited that fall is near (not nearly as near as I'd like.. it's 94º outside today!). Here he was talking about getting candy. We don't celebrate Halloween, but we do hand out candy to trick-or-treaters, and I always reserve a little stockpile for us before the doorbell starts ringing. : ) 



I have more to post already, since I haven't been posting at all this week. It takes so long to upload and edit photos, but the kids are napping, so I might as well take advantage.

2 comments:

  1. Jonah's train tearing up the town is too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I don't know if he got anything out of recreating the town, but destroying it, yep! : )

    ReplyDelete