Saturday, September 4, 2010

Labor of Love Weekend

Last month I considered making a paper chain for Jonah, so he could count down the days until we started school, but now I'm glad I didn't go ahead with it-- I am doing fine in the nerves department without a tangible daily reminder. Although maybe I could've used the therapeutic release of paper-ripping.

This is our last weekend before my baby starts school, before I am a teacher, before we are never quite the same. He is spending a much-anticipated weekend with his Nini and Papa, and Brother is being remarkably calm and self-sufficient today, giving me time to put together some things before Tuesday.
We've made several trips to the back-to-school section of several stores, much of which is in clearance now (YAY!), and assessing our haul the other night, I felt pretty satisfied that we're more than equipped, in one area at least.
There are a few things missing that I'm going to have to figure out, reimagine, or maybe just toss out altogether. I'm sure that will be the case for many things throughout the years. I am still very "green", and rummaging through my own memory to decide what we need isn't all that helpful, since, as I keep having to remind myself, 1.) I went to public school. 1a.) This isn't going to be the same and 1b.) That's a good thing.

One example of my rigidity of thought is my conception of a bulletin board. I really think we need one, and I've been imagining one just like I remember in my classrooms throughout my public education. I got the board, I got the border, and then it hit me: where am I going to buy colored butcher paper? We live in a nowhere town without the benefit of an immaculately-stocked office supply store. Sure, I guess I could have it shipped, but an entire roll is around $70, not including shipping, and that's just for one color!

Suddenly I'm realizing a benefit to teaching at a public school that I won't have in my own home; I can't handily walk down to the supply room and tear off a piece of butcher paper from the communal roll, for free. Nor can I run off a krabillion copies on the lovely free copier, or laminate gimongous visual aids, or easily (and evenly) cut mass amounts of paper in a paper cutter (actually it's perfectly fine with me that I don't have one of these. Me + paper cutter = me with less body parts, almost certainly). I've even mourned the lack of a wall-mounted pencil sharpener. I bought a little battery-operated one that I'm sure will do the job and be fun for the kids, but I'm sad that they will miss out on getting out of their seats to walk up and turn the handle to sharpen their pencils. There are a lot of similar things they won't experience that I'm realizing and feeling a little sad (and yes, a little guilty) over, but that's another entry for another day.

I'm homeschooling for a reason. A lot of reasons. A lot of reasons I fully believe in. I am doing what I feel is right and best for my children. And they will survive without a bulletin board in the traditional sense. In fact, I'm already planning to order some fabric for it that can be changed periodically. Much less expensive, and potentially pretty cute, too.

But back to my last-minute scrambling to prepare for Tuesday. Today I scanned the story disks in our Five In A Row book. (Story disks are visual representations of each title in the curriculum, to be placed on a "literary map" for social studies lessons and as a way to further involve and immerse the child in the story.)
I printed them out and painstakingly colored each. I cheated and pulled up the order page on their website so I could color-match with the ones for sale (for way more than I care to pay for little paper circles, however sweet they are, and they are). Hopefully sometime this week I can run to the UPS Store (we actually have one of those, can you believe it?) to have them laminated, so they'll last through grubby fingers holding and playing with them all they want.



I've also set up a corner of our playroom to serve as a classroom, although I'd wager, were I a bettin' woman, a lot of our learning will be done everywhere but the designated space. But that's fine, and I'm happy to have it. At the very least, it makes a great place to store supplies and display artwork.



I also love the rug I bought yesterday. I am willing to use the word 'adorbs' to describe how I feel about it.



Tonight and tomorrow I'm rereading the lesson plans for our first story (The Story About Ping) and doing any make-ahead work that I can.

It genuinely excites and warms me to do these little tasks in preparation for this new stage in our life. It really is a labor of love, and it adds a whole new, beautiful dimension to parenting.

From here on in I'm going to attempt a few posts per week, beginning with our introduction post. The handful of people who read this likely already know (and love) us, but this is being posted to the world at large, so I guess if someone happens upon us at random, it'd be nice to tell them who we are.


6 comments:

  1. It looks like you have it all under control. Hope the first day of school goes well for both of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could always cover your bulletin board in felt. That way you can make felt pieces stick, or put velcro on the back of things you can't make out of felt. Carrie did that for a flannel board story (she made drawings, and put velcro on the back of them).

    ReplyDelete
  3. how did i not know this entry was here the first time i came here?

    what you said here:

    "There are a lot of similar things they won't experience that I'm realizing and feeling a little sad (and yes, a little guilty) over..."

    i feel so, so similarly. i was actually, very recently, telling mark something like that regarding the school bus after reading a blog entry where a friend was talking about her daughter's favorite part of the day being the ride on the bus. august is already so fascinated by the ones that he's seen and i feel bad that i find myself wanting to hide them from him or distract him when i see one so that he doesn't long for it too much. of course, i know i can't do that. ;)

    but there was something so magical about my first day of school. picking out a back pack and a lunch box, my first day of school outfit, and that first ride on the bus. i actually felt myself longing for that experience for august.

    but then mark reminded me exactly what you reminded yourself in the paragraph after that statement...

    sure, he may not ride the bus (even though there may be ways we can still work that out for field trips with other homeschoolers or whatever) but the reasons that we are heavily considering homeschooling are far more important than riding the bus and we can't forget that.

    i feel like part of the sudden fear and guilt might also be that i am feeling like i am not going to be able to provide an adequate experience for august. and, really, i know that that's where it will be on me to research a bit more and just get immersed in it. it actually really helped to read that one post you wrote about jonah's first day of school and even this post.

    i know that you're a busy momma (esp. now with school) so i don't want you to feel pressured but i do want you to know that i am happy that you are recording this time and i hope that you don't stop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. holy smokes! sorry for being a comment hog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie, thank you!

    Laura, I'm actually going to be covering the back of the bulletin board in felt for that very reason! I am excited to do flannel board stories. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, don't apologize! I enjoy getting feedback and hearing what you have to say.

    I'm happy that my blog so far has been helpful to you in regard to feeling better about homeschooling yourself soon.

    The other day while we were out with Claire, I pointed out a group of kids getting ready to board their bus after school. Jonah said that he wishes he could get on a bus and go to a "real" school. It's not the only time he's made the comment, but I think it's just the amount of exposure he's had to "real" school.. on tv, in books, and in the world. It's everywhere. And that's okay. I just have to help him see that homeschool is also real school, and it's not better or worse, just different. Hopefully as he gets older he will see on his own some of the benefits to learning at home, without me having to try to convince him. And hopefully someday a school bus will just be another cool, big vehicle, like a garbage truck, a firetruck, or a tractor.

    I want him to get to ride a bus eventually, too. : ) I didn't until I was a lot older, and I remember really enjoying my first experience.

    I'm encouraged to keep writing knowing that you are getting something out of it. : )

    ReplyDelete